Thursday, May 5, 2011

Maryhill

Picking up where I left off on Sunday, the real highlight of my birthday trip was a surprise stop at the Maryhill Museum of Art.  The museum is quite nice for being in such an out-of-the-way location along the Columbia River Gorge.  Park-like grounds, beautiful views, and a stately historic building all add to the experience.

The main floor of the museum included a collection of paintings, numerous pieces of gilded furniture, and photos and keepsakes of the Hill family.  Erik and I lamented that they did not have more paintings because we liked almost all of those that were on display.  Here's a taste, the first one being my favorite:



The furniture was interesting, but for some reason I don't get as excited about 3D art and craft as I do about paintings and prints.  But here's a sampling nonetheless of the things that caught my eye:


After our long wander through the museum, we found a sunny spot on the lawn that was sheltered from the wind.  Erik fell asleep and I watched the peacocks slowly strut across the grounds toward us.  They are such silly birds -- utterly regal and hopelessly awkward at the same time.

I'll post some pictures of the upstairs collections in another entry.  More good stuff to come!