Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Home Again

We're home from our trip -- well rested now after three nights of backpacking, followed by a visit to my parents' house.  It was a great adventure trekking through the Wallowa Mountains -- our third such trip in the last five years.  The first two days we saw not a (human) soul.  It was truly amazing to walk through alpine meadows rimmed with pink mountain heather and granite outcroppings.  The lakes were brilliant as well, with their crystal-clear, super-chilly waters. 
Paradise it was in many ways but I don't want to paint too rosy a picture.  The mosquitoes were brutal the first two days and I was fairly sleep-deprived by the end of the trip.  That being said, I loved the isolation and all the time I could devote to reading, journaling, and painting. Even the mosquitoes couldn't stop me from enjoying those pursuits (wearing a head-net helped, as seen below :-).
P.S. Erik took most of these wonderful pictures.