Sunday, May 23, 2010

Homesteading

My, was it really two weeks ago that I was here, looking upon these lonely pioneer houses, deteriorating wagons, and other old-timey farm equipment? 
Our first road-trip destination was the Fort Rock Homestead Museum -- a collection of historic buildings, moved to this site after being threatened with demolition.  It is a charming, if not slightly eerie spot seemingly out in the middle of nowhere.  And the fact that the museum was unexpectedly closed made it seem even more like a ghost town.  I pulled out my old Kodak Duaflex camera and experimented with a little TtV, resulting in the photos above.  I think they do a pretty good job of capturing that lonesome, Old West spirit of the place.  But here's a photo that Erik took to give you a more normal view:
We're already talking about taking another trip back there this year so I can see the insides of these little structures (among other things).  Erik was in that corner of the state two years ago and took these pictures when he visited the museum:
 
Good stuff.  I love primitive, old buildings where the texture and patina of life is still hanging around (even if it's been composed a bit by modern folk).  I had time to do a little sketching at the site, but soon we were off to Summer Lake to find a place to camp for the night.  It was a wonderful start to our high-desert explorations.