Friday, January 29, 2010

My Favorite Bungalow

But a few blocks away from my house is this sweet bungalow that calls for me to stop for a few moments of admiration whenever I'm out for a walk.  It's an unusual architectural specimen for Portland, especially in my neighborhood where the two-story Craftsman, Tudor, and Colonial homes reign supreme.  In fact, it's the type of bungalow one would typically find in older neighborhoods of Southern California, near where I grew up.

This house makes my heart sing not just because of the unique converging rooflines and interesting trussed gables over the porch, but because of all those vertical casement windows! Seriously, I believe their dining room might have nine windows!  And the porch--it is the size of my bedroom, I think; with enough room for comfy chairs in summer and a healthy pile of firewood in the winter.
Mostly, I like this bungalow because it is eye-catching--not because of its size--but because of the humble craftsmanship in its details and how inviting and cozy it looks to the passerby.  I certainly wouldn't mind curling up in the enclosed sun porch with a good book and a cup of tea.