Monday, January 18, 2010

A Morning in Nature

I can't tell you how nice it was to have the sun shining today after such a soggy, rainy weekend here in Portland.  Erik and I went to Smith & Bybee Lakes and the Vanport Wetlands for a late-morning stroll through these little nature preserves.  We saw so many wonderful birds, which is a lot of fun because Erik can usually tell me their names -- names that make me smile, like American Wigeon, Coot, Merganser, and Northern Pintail.
And I'd almost forgotten that summery sensation of the sun warming my hair and shoulders.  It felt so good, like taking a really long drink of water when your throat is parched.  We stayed out for a long time -- sitting on a log, just watching and listening to ducks flap their wings against the water and red-wing blackbirds flit from cattail to cattail with their melodious song. It was a delightful way to spend a day off from work.