Thursday, December 10, 2009

Winter Wonderland

{Christmas in Nevada - 1982}
Every year about this time I start feeling nostalgic for a certain blue cassette tape that contained the Christmas soundtrack of my childhood. It was a recording made from one of my grandparents’ 50s-era hi-fi records—an album called Winter Wonderland by the Ray Charles Singers. That cassette tape is long gone and I’ve often wondered if I’d get the chance to hear those vintage tunes again.
I should have known that the blogsphere would reveal some exciting results. Thanks to my mom’s sleuthing, we found the album available for download here! You know, it’s one of those things where my memories are so strong that it’s impossible for me to be at all objective as to whether the music is good or not. I just know that the silky-smooth, lounge-y, 50s-vintage mood to this Christmas music really makes me miss my grandparents and really look forward to seeing my family in less than three weeks. (And I'm having a lot of fun listening to it right now!)
{tutu and grandpa in the 70s}