Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Vintage-Inspired Vacations: Astoria, Oregon

Last summer I did a post about my vintage-inspired vacation to Ashland and Jacksonville, Oregon. Seeing Vivienne’s photos of her recent trip to Astoria got me thinking of the great trip Erik and I took to this historic coastal town several years ago.
Astoria thankfully wasn’t heavily impacted by bulldozer-style urban renewal of the mid-century, so there's still an amazing collection of old buildings in this town. If you like historic homes, I definitely recommend a tour of the remarkable Queen Anne-style Flavel House.
{inside the flavel house}

Ever since the restoration of the Liberty Theater, Astoria’s downtown has experienced a burst of vitality with new shops, hotels, and restaurants opening their doors. There are a couple of antique and thrift shops downtown, though nothing terribly remarkable, I must admit. If you dig Scandinavian stuff, there’s an entire shop devoted to lovely goodies imported from Sweden and beyond. I was SO pleased to see that Astoria has its very own food coop when we were there. A great place to pick up healthy snacks for munching on during your self-guided walking tours!

Besides strolling around downtown, sipping tea or coffee at an outdoor café (when the weather permits!), I highly recommend checking out the riverfront, including a ride on the old time trolleys!

If you’re looking for cheap accommodations, there are camp sites and yurts available at Fort Stevens (for those who don’t mind the 15-minute or so drive). For those wanting to stay in the heart of downtown, the Hotel Elliot is a newly renovated historic building.

Check out the rest of my pictures to get a sense of this quaint town in northwest Oregon:
{columbian cafe}
{shipwreck at fort stevens state park}