Monday, August 24, 2009

Time for Some Art

I have not been spending enough time in the studio recently -- what with my various internet distractions (like this one :-), training Griffin, gardening, oh, and the big one--my job. Sigh. So I'm posting these pictures from the weekend to remind myself that I must make it a priority to find time to create art. Starting projects has always been tough for me -- you know, really giving myself permission to let go, make a mess, get fully immersed.
So this weekend (instead of making art -- hee hee) I decided to stop by SCRAP's new location, which is not far from my house. It's funny, because when I was in Eugene a couple weeks ago, I popped into MECCA's wonderful new location in the old train depot. I guess I should explain -- both SCRAP and MECCA are repositories for art "supplies" (very broadly defined) that have been diverted from the landfill. (Berkeley has one too -- the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse -- a self-described ecological treasure trove of art and craft materials, educational supplies, vintage furniture, home d├ęcor, paper goods, fabric, and much more.) Similarly, SCRAP and MECCA have everything from fabric, to wallpaper samples, to bits of tile and wood, to all kinds of crazy collage stuff. And the best part (besides being good for the environment and the community) -- is that it's all really cheap. Always a fun time for me: Stuff ready for artistic transformation + digging + a great deal.
So here are some pics of the goodies I got at SCRAP (spent a whopping $1.90!), as well as some other books and magazine I picked up at a Sunday estate sale to use as collage material. These 70s-era Readers Digest books have some really fun and funky graphics. Snip, snip.
I plan to be back here within two weeks with a post on what I created. Accountability via the internet. I love it!