Thursday, August 27, 2009

Favorite Finds (and camera thoughts)

I’ve recently been testing out the new DSLR camera that my firm just purchased and boy am I having a blast with it. Our goal was to get a camera that would allow for taking pictures indoors without a flash or tripod. So, as I was researching cameras for this purchase, I stumbled upon some articles related to prime lenses. Now, I took a few basic photography courses in college, but I must have been asleep during that lecture because I'd not heard of them before! Anyway, a prime lens has a fixed focal length and a much larger aperture, allowing in a lot more light. The other bonus (for my purposes at least) is the ability to get a very shallow depth of field (i.e. a soft blury background).

I'm growing quite fond of this Nikon D80, despite my first reaction when I pulled it out of the box: "It's so big and heavy!" Though when I think about it, it's definitely not as cumbersome as my point-and-shoot attached to the tripod. :-) It takes some pretty sweet photos, even in the hands of an amateur. If it wasn't so expensive, I might consider getting one for myself!

Without further ado, here are some photos of the goodies I couldn't resist bringing home with me last weekend: