Sunday, August 9, 2009

Estate Sale Sunday

No doubt, one of my favorite weekend activities is making my rounds at the latest estate sales. I used to be an avid garage-saler; however, upon discovering estate sales a few years ago, I found that I much prefer the latter even though prices tend to be a bit higher. Estate sales are great because they are generally organized, not canceled due to rain (important in Portland!), and are often a treasure trove of vintage goodies all under one roof. I know some people are uncomfortable buying dead people's stuff, but I like to think of it as an excellent form of recycling. An added bonus for me is being able to check out the houses and see how other folks live. It fulfills both my architectural and anthropological curiosities. :-) If you're in the Portland area, there's a great website that posts weekly estate sale ads. And don't forget -- on the last day of most sales things are 50% off!

Here are a few pictures of my treasures from two weekends ago. This last weekend was a blast -- estate sale-ing in both Eugene and Portland! More pics and a post on that to come.
Old magazines make the best collage materials!
Vintage fabric bag -- well worn and so soft
Can never resist vintage sewing notions!
Creative studio storage -- old boxes and jars
Funny little framed print from the estate of a world traveller.