Monday, January 19, 2009

Tasha Tudor

Besides the wonderful, creative women in my family, I'm greatly inspired by Tasha Tudor -- well known for her delightfully illustrated children's books, but also as a true practitioner of the gentle arts of domesticity.

In 1992, my parents gave me a copy of The Private World of Tasha Tudor, a lovely book in which Tasha shares her thoughts on life-on-the-farm in Vermont. The simple, matter-a-fact way she writes about her "private world" is appealing, if not reassuring that such a beautiful, authentic way of living is not as out-of-reach as it may seem. The book is lushly illustrated with photographs by Richard Brown that show Tasha going about her daily tasks-- tending to her animals, working at her loom, cooking in the kitchen.
For subsequent birthdays my parents gave me Tasha Tudor's Garden and Tasha Tudor's Heirloom Crafts -- both of which I adore and look at frequently. I've already been doing a bit of garden planning for our new home and the dense, flower-filled gardens of Ms. Tudor are an inspiration.

I was sad to recently read that this wonderful lady passed away last summer at age 92. But how nice that she lived such a long and fulfilling life, dying at home, surrounded by family.

I highly recommend her books to anyone who values the handmade and a simple, timeless way of life.