Saturday, September 6, 2008

Weekends are Special


As a kid, weekends not only meant no homework and lots of play, but special (non-cereal) breakfasts as well. How excited my brothers and I would get over pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, or Dutch Babies (aka German pancakes). Thanks, Mom, for all those delicious, memorable breakfasts!

Having discovered earlier this year that I'm gluten-intolerant (no wheat, barley, rye, and some other grains), I assumed I'd be living without some of my favorite foods for the rest of my life. Most gluten-free substitutes are pretty yucky (though a new bakery in Portland is bakin' up some pretty delicious stuff), but I was happy to discover that GF waffles can be made without feeling like you're eating a cardboard stand-in. I have Trader Joe's to thank for the handy mix.

So things are back to being as they were in the good old days -- no homework, lots of play, and WAFFLES!